Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Just Dandy

"Pride of lions in the yard. Stare, and they burn a hole in your retina. A common flower, a weed that no one sees, yes. But for us, a noble thing, the dandelion." p. 12 from Dandelion wine by Ray Bradbury

I felt that dandelions needed their own entry. These weeds that fill our childhood with magic and or adulthood with lawn grief are really quite amazing.

Did you know that if you can dye things a hot pink if you use the whole dandelion plant for the natural dye? I haven't tried it but I want to. And I have a lot of them right in my own yard. . . .

Does anyone know what type of dandelion leaves we can use in salads? I love to know.

Check out the curly-Q petals


I remember when I was in grade school there was a little saying we would say while holding dandelions and then at the end we would pop of the bloom with our thumb. It was a horrible little saying but some how it didn't phase us then. It went something like this "mommy had a baby and it's head popped off". Seriously where did that come from?!!!

Feel free to share Dandelion wisdom, memories, and facts. . .


One last quote. . ."I'm really alive! he thought. I never knew it before, or if I did I don't remember!" p. 10 of Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I still love dandelions too! Though they are getting out of control in my yard, I think I am going to have to cave and get an herbicide to get rid of them and start anew.

Anonymous said...

My dandelion memories are being a very young kid at Grandma and Grandpa's house for General Conference. Too small to help the extended family adults with the yard work at the time, we would pick and make wishes while blowing the fluff free to dance on the breeze, imagining the white feather-like seeds carried our wishes to fairyland.